Monday, July 26, 2010

"Shut Up Legs!"

There is a famous German cyclist named Jens Voigt, who is an outstanding climber. When interviewed, they asked Jens how he keeps going up so many hills ruthlessly, he says, "When my legs start to hurt, I look down and say 'SHUT UP, LEGS!'" He's famous for this saying, but I'm pretty sure he stole it from me because I am constantly telling my legs to shut up as well as yelling at myself when I go up hills. (For more information on me talking to myself in intense situations see: "They Call Me Mr. Competitive.") The other day, we left Pepin, Wisconsin toward St. Paul, Minnesota and expected a relatively normal day. We had no warning of hills or mountains in Wisconsin so people took their time. I don't really like to stop so I pressed on with Kristen toward lunch and we were met by the biggest hills we've seen probably since the East coast. It was brutal. Hill after hill appeared over the horizon, but we finally made it to lunch. At lunch, someone said, "Well, it's all flat from here." That person lied to me. We continued to climb hills all afternoon arriving in St. Paul to what looked like the mother hill. It was nearly straight up for .2 miles. We pumped ourselves up and got in the zone and then realized at the top that it was nothing compared to the mountains of the morning. I think that day proved one of the tougher ones in the Midwest, but I think we can all learn a little something from Mr. Voigt (who learned it from me). When you're in pain, just tell your body to shut up and keep going. (Unless of course you have a bone sticking out of your body or realized you've lost a limb. Then, maybe you should go see a doctor!)

No comments:

Post a Comment