Saturday, July 3, 2010

Michael & Sacajawea Get in a Fight

Every human/bike relationship has its firsts. I remember the time fondly when Sacajawea and I climbed our first mountain together. I remember our first rainstorm, our first flat tire, and of course, our first embrace down a steep hill. But every couple has its first fight, and ours occured yesterday. It was an 88 mile ride to Rochester, and it started off very well. The land was flat, and there was little wind. We were so excited when we found out we were the first people to lunch. After lunch, we headed back on our way, and that's when the trouble began. Sacajawea started whining about the hills so we stopped at a gas station and had a talk. I told her to stop complaining, that she knew what she was signing up for. Then she became a bit stubborn. Leisl noticed a flat in my back tire, and sure enough there was a hole in the tube. I changed it becoming a little disgruntled with Sacajawea, and then realized it must have just been a mistake. I told her to stop being so stubborn and then we pressed on. We made it near the city, stopped for some lemonade and then continued. About a mile outside Rochester, Sacajawea "bonked." Bonking is when your body runs out of sugar and you can't continue. I told her we were just a mile away and we were going to make it. Then, she popped the front tire. It was more of an explosion so I had to fix it, and quickly. I grabbed another spare tube, checked the tire for glass, and went to pump it back up. I unhooked the pump, and as soon as I knelt down to put the tire back on, it exploded right in my ear knocking out the hearing in my left ear (all is well now.) That's right, Sacajawea yelled at me. I had to call the van to come get us A MILE AWAY, and probably said some things I didn't mean to the bike. It's been an awkward 24 hours and she is just sitting in the room refusing to go outside. She won't eat either. As an apology, I got her some new tires. She is going to be so happy when she sees those new Armadillos, and I just hope she'll forgive me. Hopefully tomorrow, we'll go for a make up ride and all will be okay. I have certainly learned my lesson, and hopefully Sacajawea and I will never fight again.

2 comments: